Jan 14, 2014
Leadership in Action Meetings Materials
Between November 2013 and January 2014, CCNA convened more than 35 Action Coalitions in a series of three meetings — in Seattle, St. Louis and New Orleans — to develop a national strategy to increase the number of nurse leaders serving on hospital system, state, and national boards. Action Coalitions and other guests also had the opportunity to share information on their current leadership programs and initiatives to develop nurse leaders for board appointments and other leadership positions. Both meetings were very exciting, productive and fun sessions that provided a venue for advancing the important work centered on preparing nurses to lead and transform health care. A key objective of the meetings was to develop an understanding of the need for a shared national strategy to increase the number of nurse leaders serving on hospital/system, state, and federal boards.
Leadership Talking Points
“As leaders, nurses must act as full partners in redesign efforts, be accountable for their own contributions to delivering high-quality care, and work collaboratively with leaders from other health professions” (Institute of Medicine, 2010).
- Health care leaders, researchers, nurse leaders, regulatory leaders, and consumers inform us that more nurse leaders need to serve on boards to impact transforming health care.
- Nurses have a direct and critical impact on the quality and safety of patient care provided.
- Nurses provide insight on the entire care delivery process, including patient and family involvement and staff satisfaction.
- It’s going to take collaboration between all health care leaders to increase the number of nurses serving on boards.
- We will all benefit when the nation has nurse leaders serving on hospital, state, and federal decision making boards.
Leadership in Action Meeting Materials
- National Framework for Nurses on Boards Strategy
- Sue Hassmiller – Susan Reinhard Opening Remarks
- Heather Andersen – Transformational Change
- Virginia Action Coalition Presentation
- New Jersey Actuib Coalition Presentation
- Texas Action Coalition Presentation
- Washington State Action Coalition Presentation
- Colorado Action Coalition Presentation
- Michael Bleich – Let Your LIGHT Shine in Leading Boards to Improve Health for All
- Linda Burnes Bolton Presentation – My Leadership Journey of Human Caring
- Fran Roberts – Imacting Change through Broader Spheres of Influence
Templates and Other Technical Assistance Materials
- National Stategy Framework Template
- State Leadership Action Plan Template
- Recommended Criteria for Diversity in Action Plans
- Talking Points on Nurse Leadership
- Tips and Tools on Nurse Leadership
- Virginia Nurses on Boards Survey
Articles and Other Background Materials
- Nurse Leaders in the Board Room: A Fitting Choice
- Nurses on Boards – Competencies Required for Leadership
- Envisioning a Future of Nurse Leaders in the Boardroom
- Dysfunction in the Boardroom
- IOM Report Chapter 5 – Leadership
- What Makes an Effective Coalition?
- Advancing Health: News from the Campaign for Action
- Campaign Imperatives