Four Types of Advanced Practice Registered Nurses
There are four types of advanced practice registered nurses:
- Nurse practitioners
- Clinical nurse specialists
- Certified registered nurse anesthetists
- Certified nurse-midwives
Find out how many are in the United States, and what they do, by type.
Advanced practice registered nurses:
- Are registered nurses (RNs) with a master’s, post-master’s, or doctoral degree.
- Pass national certification exams.
- Teach patients to understand their health problems and what they can do to get better.
- Coordinate care and advocate for patients.
- Refer patients to physicians and other health care providers.