Jun 11, 2012
Transforming Health Care Delivery, Part II: The Role of Nurses in Health Plans
June 11, 2012
2:00 PM - 3:00 PM ET
With a focus on wellness, prevention, and chronic care management, health plans play a major role in the health care system. Nurses are employed at all levels in health plans, and in every operating unit, influencing the development, direction, and implementation of patient and family centered programs. On this second webinar, in a series of two, the presenters reviewed the role of nurses in health plans. Participants heard four leaders nurse leaders from Aetna, Humana Cares, HealthPartners Medical Group and Horizon Healthcare Innovations describe case examples of how nurse-led programs directly impact the health outcomes of consumers.
- Learn about the variety of roles that nurses play in health plans and the types of nurse-led programs and services delivered within them.
- Understand the links between nurses, health plans, the future of health care delivery, and the IOM’s recommendations.
- Understand the impact that nursing interventions in health plans have on consumer health outcomes.
- Relate issues of quality, access and cost to nurse-led programs in health plans.
- Susan Reinhard, PhD, RN, FAAN, senior vice president and director, AARP Public Policy Institute and chief strategist, Center to Champion Nursing in America (CCNA)
- Susan Kosman, RN, BSN, MS, Chief Nursing Officer, Aetna, Inc.
- Tom Michels, RN, Infection Preventionist, HealthPartners Medical Group
- Mary Aikins, RN, BA, CCM, Manager, Care Management Operations; Horizon Healthcare Innovations – Patient Centered Medical Home
- Diane Hogan, DNP, RN, MA, Director of Clinical Innovations, Humana Cares