Dec 23, 2020
Diversifying the Nursing Workforce to Achieve Health Equity
January 12, 2021
11:00 AM - 1:35 PM ET
Diversifying the Nursing Workforce to Achieve Health Equity is the first in a series of virtual convenings with the goal of engaging a range of stakeholders, including consumer, business and health care organizations, on improving our nation’s health equity through a more diverse nursing work force.
- Engage and activate a diverse range of stakeholders to support a more diverse nursing workforce as a means of advancing health equity.
- Support the nursing profession’s efforts in building a diverse health equity-minded workforce.
11 a.m. Welcome
Susan C. Reinhard, PhD, RN, FAAN, Senior Vice President, Public Policy Institute and Director & Chief Strategist, Center to Champion Nursing in America and Family Caregiving Initiatives, AARP
11:10 a.m. Policy Leaders
11:25 a.m. The Value of a Diverse Nursing Workforce to Achieve Health Equity- Part 1
- Tari Hanneman, Director, Health and Aging Program, Human Rights Campaign
- Elaine M. Ryan, Vice President, State Advocacy & Strategy, AARP
- Elena Rios, MD, MSPH, President and CEO, National Hispanic Medical Association
- Kathy Driscoll, Vice President, Chief Nursing Officer at Humana Inc.
Moderated by: Dwayne Proctor, PhD, Senior Adviser to the President, Equity, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation
11:55 a.m. Brief Conversation and Panel Introduction
- Kupiri “Piri” Ackerman-Barger, PhD, RN, FAAN, Associate Dean of Health Equity, Diversity and Inclusion and Associate Clinical Professor, University of California Davis Betty Irene Moore School of Nursing
- Winifred V. Quinn, PhD, FAANP(H) Director, Advocacy and Consumer Affairs, Center to Champion Nursing in America, AARP
12:05 p.m. The Value of a Diverse Nursing Workforce to Achieve Health Equity- Part 2
- Martha Dawson, DNP, RN, FACHE, President, National Black Nurses Association Inc.
- Erika Colón, RN, Founder and President, Milwaukee Chapter, National Association of Hispanic Nurses
- Sandra Littlejohn, MA, BSN, RN, President, National Alaska Native American Indian Nurses Association
- Germaine Smith-Baugh, EdD, President and CEP, Urban League of Broward County
Moderated by: Edna Kane-Williams, Senior Vice President, Multicultural Leadership, AARP
12:35 p.m. Brief Conversation and Panel Introduction
- Kupiri “Piri” Ackerman-Barger
- Winifred V. Quinn
12:45 p.m. Organizational Policies and Practices on Achieving Health Equity in and through Nursing
- Beverly Malone, PhD, RN, FAAN, President and CEO, National League for Nursing
- Vernell DeWitty, PhD, RN, Director for Diversity and Inclusion, American Association of Colleges of Nursing
- Janis Orlowski, MD, MACP, Chief Health Care Officer, Association of American Medical Colleges
- Robyn Begley, DNP, RN, FAAN, CEO, American Organization for Nursing Leadership, Senior Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer, American Hospital Association
- Linda Burnes Bolton, DrPh, RN, FAAN, Senior Vice President and Chief Health Equity Officer, Cedars-Sinai
Moderated by: Catherine Alicia Georges, EdD, RN, FAAN, Professor and Chairperson of Nursing, Lehman College
1:25 p.m. Closing
Susan B. Hassmiller, PhD, RN, FAAN, Senior Advisor for Nursing and Director, Future of Nursing: Campaign for Action, Robert Wood Johnson Foundation. Senior Scholar-In-Residence and Senior Adviser to the President on Nursing, National Academy of Medicine
1:35 p.m. Meeting Ends